Saturday, March 1, 2014

Lock and Key



When I was young and daring,
I let my heart fly free,
And wore it in my laughing eyes
For all the world to see.
To each and every passer-by
I let it dance and sing,
And to each soul that lent its love
It joyfully took wing.

When once my eyes beheld him,
My heart leapt to its feet
And ran to him with burning fire
And pulsing, glowing beat.
He held it for a moment,
Then threw it to the ground,
And trampled it with callous care
And killed its every sound.

They told me, “Lock your heart up,
And throw away the key.
There it will heel, and never feel
The world’s cruel, poisoned stings.”
I picked it bleeding off the ground
And hid it in my breast,
And vowed I’d never let it go,
Nor see its love transgressed.

Yet though I kept it hidden,
And vowed love was no more,
Your song tore down the iron walls
And battered in the door.
Your music healed my throbbing soul
And soothed love’s wounded source.
For still to love, though all is lost,
Is life, and life’s own course.

No comments:

Post a Comment